Monday, September 6, 2010

Fashion Victim vs Trendsetter

Looking through my September issues from previous years; I realized that the crazy, funny, overwhelming, and insane thing about fashion and trends is that everything is in fashion and nothing is in fashion. A person can spend their days calculating meticulously how to be considered fashionable but never really develop a true sense of style. I'm sure we've all struggled with whether to make a clothing purchase or not at some point in our lives, the question of whether it was fashionable, weird, or even outdated brewing in our heads. Raking our brains of every style tip or knowledge that we have acquired to rationalize our purchase. The irony of that is is that at times what magazines deem as last season can be the hottest trend for the next season. For example, this past spring's denim on denim look. For the longest time I had followed societies unwritten rule about not mismatching denim in order to prevent myself from looking like a confused cowboy. However, it's apparent that this look can be chic and daring. Like the fabulous Heidi Klum says, "One day you're in, the next you're out." This year it was auf wiedersehen to 80s silhouettes, colors, and accessories and helloooo to 90s minimalism. So what happens when your favorite (but now deemed outdated) trend is caught in fashion's crossfires? In my opinion, you wear what you like and don't let anybody or magazine tell you differently. It's the girls who follow the beat of their own drummer who are viewed as trendsetters rather than victims. I celebrate the inspiring few who are not slaves to fashion but rather cultivate it by their personal style in hopes that these mavericks will inspire my sense of style as well.

Photobucket
Agyness Deyn: This model can rock any style on and off the runway. Sexy in an understated way, Deyn's style is a mash up of loud British rock and roll, menswear, and girly spunk.

Photobucket
Alexa Chung: Whenever I see a photo of the ever fabulous Ms. Chung, Urban Outfitters immediately comes to mind. She's mastered the art of looking good with out trying to a t (which I associate with UO). I love how you would never know whether she spent a whole day figuring out what to wear or just five minutes.

Photobucket
Diane Kruger: This german beauty owns the red carpet, graces fashion shows, and parades sidewalks in nothing less than pieces sure to grab your attention. She's never afraid to try new things despite whether or not they will end up on "Worst Dressed" lists.

Photobucket
Rachel Zoe: Rachel Zoe leads a life full of drama, both in her personal life and her in closet. She always embraces colors, volume, and different textures and is always true to her 70s aesthetic.

Photobucket
Rachel Bilson: Based on her role as Summer on the O.C. I never expected much style-wise from Bilson. Summer's style was as bubbly and perky as her personality. However, in her personal life Bilson has shown that while she is the girl next door, she's got other facets to her personality and style as well.

Photobucket
Sienna Miller: Without Ms. Miller, I don't think the term boho chic will have ever been actualized. Sienna Miller is renown for the way she is able to take billowing bohemian styles and make them look current. However, I love Sienna in a more refined look. Sienna knows what clothes suit her body type and shape, which makes her overall appearance chic and put together.
Photobucket
Nicole Richie: I can't emphasize enough how astonishing this former reality TV show's fashion transformation is. From Von Dutch to House of Harlow, Richie's style exudes a perfect mixture of seventies hippie and California girl.

15 comments:

  1. Akexa Chung and Diane Kruger are just fabulous. :)SarahD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think each of the girls you have pictured look amazing in their own ways. I think everyone needs to figure out what works for them and work that and not worry about anything else.

    http://sunnydaystarrynight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with you. We shouldn't wear what everyone else it, we should wear what we like even if others are saying that's not in style. What's in style to me is what I like. If I buy something that is "in style" but I don't like, I am not ever going to wear it.
    I love the people you have pictured. They are all beautiful and I love their styles. A few of them I had never heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what you said in the post...so true! And I love your picks!

    www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first picture...she's smiling so absolutely fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  6. May be Fashion victims but nobody is perfect all the time...
    Love all of the anyways ;)
    xoxo
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love nicole but not so much that outfit in particular. It's her style.

    I like your blog a lot. I'm a new follower, yay! Please check out my blog too when you get a chance. Hope you follow back.

    www.the-blisslist.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these looks! The Rachel Zoe one is a little over the top in my oppinion...but I totally give her props for still rocking it out! Shes so daring and I love it! I Love looking at celeb style photos :)

    & thanks for checking out my blog post about the Japan dolphins! If you want to sign the petition you can go to http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/724/210/624/

    www.fashionfirstandforemost.blogspot.com

    xoxo Ryley

    ReplyDelete
  9. That entire open paragraph? COuldn't have said it better myself! These ladies featured here have got a great sense of style, not necessarily because they're always "on trend", but because they just look good regardless of what they wear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these women and their style! I totally agree with what you have written about each of them. Great post!

    Thanks for your comments!

    www.a--style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sienna Miller our lover lol
    She has the best style of all those fashionistas :)


    KIsses from France.Olivia & Mariam




    http://daily-women.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agyness on the bike is such a great picture, I've loved it for a long time.

    Sending some beauty blogging love ♥
    http://thepowerandbeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I meant to post here but posted on the wrong entry :P.

    What I said was that I think anybody can pull off anything with the right styling. I don't follow trends when it comes to the way I dress - only in reading about them, and I think that's the way it should be.

    I love 50's fashion and looking cute and doll-like. If this look suddenly became out of fashion I still wouldn't stop dressing like this.

    I think fashion should be an inspiration, not something you follow unconditionally. If you don't like a trend, don't wear it. If you like something untrendy; wear it ;D.

    I have one exception though; I don't think anybody should own a scrunchie!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel was not that fashionable in the first season, but as the series became more popular, her style become more and more like in real life. It's just that Mischa was projected as the fashionable one, when in fact - when I look back now - she wasn't... AT ALL! :D

    xxxxo

    A

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...